In a bid to improve wireless connectivity, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved setting up of public WiFi networks across the country. The WiFi will be provided through public data offices (PDOs) for which there will be no licence, registration or any other fees, Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said, adding that the public WiFi was being rolled out as part of the Prime Minister WiFi Access Network Interface (PM- WANI).
The PDO, to be set up along the lines of public calling office, can be a mom-and-pop store in the area or the common services centre present in various small towns, gram panchayats, and villages in the country. The PDOs can either provide the internet on other own or lease it from other telecom and internet service providers,
This Central government’s scheme is called the Prime Minister Wi-Fi Access Network Interface (PM-WANI) and is being seen as an attempt by the government to elevate wireless internet connectivity in the country.Prime Minister Narendra Modi called the PM-WANI scheme “historic”. He added it will completely revolutionise the tech sphere and will also substantially improve the wireless connectivity of the country. PM-WANI will boost the “ease of doing” business and also “ease of living”, said PM Modi in a tweet.
Pm Wifi Scheme
|Name of Scheme||PM-WANI Yojana (PM Wi-Fi Access Network Interface Scheme)|
|in Language||पीएम वाणी योजना|
|Launched by||Government of India|
|Beneficiaries||Citizens of India|
|Major Benefit||Free wireless internet in public spaces in the country, under the Prime Minister’s Wi-Fi Access Network Initiative (PM-WANI) scheme|
|Scheme Objective||Providing Wi-Fi facility in public places|
|Scheme under||Central Government|
|Name of State||All India|
|Post Category||Scheme/ Yojana/ Yojna|
Objectives of PM-WANI Yojana 2020
- The scheme would enable our small shopkeepers to provide Wi-Fi service.
- This will boost incomes as well as ensure our youth gets seamless internet connectivity.
- It will also strengthen our Digital India mission,” said the Prime Minister in another tweet about PM-WANI.
- The PM explained the benefits of the PM-WANI scheme, but how exactly will it work? Let us see
- Public Data Offices (PDOs) will be established on the lines of Public Call Offices (PCOs).
- These PDOs will establish, operate, and maintain only the WANI compliant Wi-Fi access points to deliver broadband services to its subscribers.
- Wi-Fi facility will be free under PM-WANI Yojana.
- The scheme will enable small shopkeepers to provide WiFi service.
- This Scheme will boost incomes as well as ensure the youth gets seamless internet connectivity.
- It will also strengthen the Digital India mission.
- The Cabinet yesterday approved setting up of public Wi-Fi networks to provide public Wi-Fi service through Public Data Offices without levy of any License Fee.
- The Cabinet also cleared the provision of submarine optical fibre cable connectivity between mainland (Kochi) and Lakshadweep Islands.
PM-WANI Yojana : Online Application Form
- The scheme has been approved by the Union Cabinet on 9 December 2020
- To expand broadband Internet access across the country, the government has approved the establishment of a public Wi-Fi network through the Public Data Office (PDO). Any small shop or shared service center (CSC) can also be PDO PDO.
- Under this, public Wi-Fi networks or ‘access points’ can also be installed at local grocery shops and street shops. Neither license nor registration will be required for PDO. Also, there will not be any charge for them. The public Wi-Fi access network interface (PM Vani) is expected to bring a major Wi-Fi revolution to the country.